Friday, May 1, 2009

Removing a splinter from the logpile...

Thankfully, I returned to Esteldin safe and sound. The next day, the ranger Celephadh asked me to strike a mighty blow to the goblin horde amassing to the southeast by slaying one of its taskmasters. I waited for the cover of nightfall before I set out.

While trying to find my way, I saw a flickering light emanating from a small cave set inside the rocky hills to the east. I approached cautiously and found a party of adventurers that had made camp for the night. They graciously offered to share their fire with me. I took a few moments to warm up and thanked them for their courtesy before heading out into the night again.

I soon saw long shadows gliding over the landscape and skulked toward them in hope of finding the taskmaster. I scaled a fallen tree and hid just in time to avoid being seen by a group of goblins engaged in a sickening feast!

Not long after, I found the taskmaster unwisely wandering about the camp, alone. The deed done, I was about to head back to Esteldin, when a mass of fiery lights caught my eye. I crept slowly to the south, avoiding the watchful eye of many foul creatures, until I came upon a horrific sight: campfires, siege engines, and creatures of evil as far as my eyes could see. I sunk to the ground as if having been dealt an actual blow.

Despair crept into my heart. "How can we hope to stand against such a powerful force?" I thought to myself. "I could strike down ten more of their taskmasters and twenty would take their place!" Wiping tears from my eyes, I slowly rose and made my way back to Esteldin.

Celephadh did not seem fazed by my report. I walked about the encampment a bit and came across a bunch of rangers training in combat, learning from one another. Their cries of encouragement and brotherhood did much to allay my concerns. These rangers are forged from steel, and I felt ashamed to be in their presence with such despair clinging to me.

Celephadh must have sensed my feelings for he said, "Rest easy, Kaleigh. You have done so much to aid us, and we can ask no more of you. No truer friend of the rangers has there been, and you have a place by our side whenever you wish." I thanked him and cried until my last tear was spent.

I stayed until the next day, saying my goodbyes to everyone. They lent me a horse to take me wherever I wished to travel, which was a mystery to me as well. I only knew that I needed to rest and recuperate from this long ordeal. My time in the North Downs, for now, has come to an end. Where I shall end up I do not know, but I hope that I will find you there! :)

Take care, friends!

With Light,
Kaleigh



No comments:

Post a Comment