Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Field of Dreams



[You've got mail :)]

Dearest friend,

My short time in the Shire has already done much to ease my burdens and lift my spirits. Last night, I spent the evening at the Ivy Bush in Hobbiton with many well-wishers whom I have come to know over these past few days. My greatest challenge of the day was convincing them to allow me to buy my own mead! They listened politely as I told them many stories of my time wandering lands far away. Neither I, nor I think they, would have wanted to ruminate on darker things, however. Instead, I kept the subject on topics such as the many virtues I have seen exemplified by the rangers and others I have come to know: courage, strength, honor and perseverance. Of course, I could not help but mention a few of the victories that I had been fortunate enough to take the smallest part in!

While considering what tales to tell, my stories of hope and light outweighed ones of darker fare to such a degree that I, myself, took heart in the realization. Has my healing already begun, I wonder? The darker times seem much more distant. I have learned well, from the few I have been fortunate enough to befriend, that hobbits have a special wisdom with regards to discernment. They know, perhaps better than any among us, the things that truly matter. Those things are held fast, while the rest they leave behind. Perhaps it is this land itself, and its simple, loving people, that causes such dark memories to be washed away.



The next day I took breakfast at the inn, then hurried outside to enjoy the day. There was but the lightest of sprinkles that fell upon my skin like gentle caresses that I did in no way mind! I found a hilltop near a copse of trees to stretch out upon and watch the white clouds roll by. Something startled some birds in the trees, for they all took flight and soared above me, flying ever higher! It was such a sight to see, and I almost felt as if I could have joined them, had I wished to try.



Later, as I walked the grasslands to the north of the village, I came across a field of violet wildflowers and salvia. The rain had picked up a bit, but the fragrance of the flowers was so strong! I walked amongst them, breathing their scent deeply. The rolling hills in the distance were so lovely to look upon, as I danced in the flowers.



I got quite lost in the moment and had a scare when a bear wandered rather close to me. Perhaps he was lost in beauty as well, for he just casually strolled by without a care in the world, thankfully for me! The flowers, the sun, the lovely view, and the rain all worked as one to wash my cares away and left me with such a feeling of peace that I cannot even write about it without tears of joy to keep me company as I do so.

The only thing I can think of that would have made the afternoon complete would be if you had been here to share it with me. My thoughts are with you often, and I hope to see you soon!

With Light,
Kaleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment