Thursday, May 21, 2009

They might be giants, but their brains are rather small

I came into the camp near the Eavespires and met the few that were there. One of them was an elf named Lithuifin. He told me that he was having some problems with the child-like, yet very dangerous, giants that lived rather close by. He had convinced them that the forests nearby were haunted to keep them from coming too close, but they needed a bit of a reminder.

Apparently, the giants keep a stone they considered a good-luck charm. Lithuifin asked me to steal it from them in order to have them believe that the spirits of the forest had done so! I was not so sure that this would work but causing mischief is sort of a hobby of mine, so I agreed.

I crept up the hill where the giants were milling about and saw their stone charm nearby. Unfortunately, there were two giants keeping watch over the blasted thing! Noticing a pile of rocks nearby, I wondered if I could cause a little distraction for them. By setting myself in line with the two of them, I was able to toss a rock over the closest giant, hitting the one further away. He looked at the other giant and accused him! They bickered for a few seconds, but then fell glumly into silence again. After tossing a couple more rocks, they went at it! I was able to slip in and steal the charm without either of them being the wiser!

After reporting my success, Lithuifin told me that, just in case, he wanted to take a little stronger action. He had me collect some berries from shrubs growing near the coastline, which he brewed into some sort of draught. He told me that the giants tend to collect near the southern end of their encampment in the afternoon for a meal. I was to slip the draught into their cooking pot!

I was quite nervous, more about the chance of being stepped on than of being seen, but I agreed. Very carefully, I dashed from stone to tree to ruin and, finally, made it to the cooking pot, itself! I upended the draught into the foul-smelling brew and skulked away just in time. The giants hungrily ate their stew. As I dashed away, I heard such cries and wails coming from their camp, I had to wonder what sort of concoction Lithufin had created. Better not to know, I thought, while laughing to myself.




After getting some distance from the giant camp, I took my time in returning to the Eavespires, taking in some of the breath-taking scenery that seems so commonplace in this area. Hopefully, if we are able to drive the shadow back, it will always be so.

Lithuifin and I had a good laugh about our mischievous deeds upon my return. It is a shame that all of our foes are not so easily outwitted. The rangers tell tales of foes they have faced that have the might of giants and the intellect of the wisest of sages. I can only hope that I never have to face such an enemy, or, if I do, that I have so many friends and allies on my side that I could never dream of losing hope, no matter what may come.

I am honored to consider you all a part of that group, dear friends! Take care!

With Light,
Kaleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment