Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kaleigh Starshine - Skulker Extraordinaire!

I met the sons of Lord Elrond, Elladan and Elrohir, at the camp of Thorenhad in the Bruinen Gorges. They had a chilling tale to tell. It seemed that one of the black riders, powerful agents of the shadow, had escaped a cunning trap Lord Elrond had laid for them. They believed he fled into the southern Trollshaws, but they were not certain. They asked me to seek out doughty warriors in Thorenhad, and any other camps nearby, in order to form a search party that would enter the troll-infested ruins where they believed the rider may be hiding.

I beseeched all I came across to aid me in this task. It was of vital importance that this black rider be found before he could cause more mischief! Unfortunately, my pleas fell upon deaf ears. I understand that all of us struggle in our own way to strike at the shadow, but this was such a vital task! I was quite shocked that I was unable to muster any to it. I am sure, dear friend, that if you had been within earshot of my call, you would have answered. If only you had been there with me.

Eventually, I returned to Elladan and Elrohir to report that I could find no others to aid me in their task. They were quite disappointed, to say the least! Sadly, I realized that, if I could not rally any to such a mission as this, I had best be prepared to make my own way, no matter what may come. I offered to attempt to skulk into the ruins and look for the rider by myself.

They refused, saying it was far too perilous to go alone. And I agreed with them, but I knew it must be done. I excused myself and began the long, treacherous sneak into the southern ruins.



It is all a blur now. Trolls were everywhere, and evil men skulked about in great number. I searched through the remainder of the day and throughout the night. Every last bit of mischief I had learned in my travels, I brought to bear. Sometimes, it even came down to tossing a pebble to make a noise far away, so that I might slip by an archway or guard post undetected.

Eventually, I came into the heart of the ruin, where so many trolls and men lingered, I knew that no degree of skulking would avail me any longer. Wearied from the need to be ever-vigilant, I nearly gave myself away with a loud sigh of despair. I quickly put my hand to my mouth to stifle it and was about to begin the long trek back to Thorenhad, when I caught sight of a very black, gruesome horse lying dead near one of the tents in the camp.

There was no sign of the rider, but I wanted to be sure. I waited a long while for my best chance, then began to creep toward the horse. I was able to get quite near but was spotted! Quickly, I drew my dagger and cut the bridle off the decaying muzzle of the foul beast and ran for my very life!

I know not how I eluded capture or death. I ducked large stones aimed for me and dove past weapons that should have cut me down with a nimbleness and skill I did not know I possessed. It was rather touch and go! At one point, I thought my luck had run out. Trolls and men surrounded me and began to close in. I looked around in terror and cried out in despair. I wished with all my might that I had a safe place to hide! I saw the smallest of crevasses in the face of a large rock nearby and dashed to it, scrunching myself as far in as I could.

It was hopeless to even try, I figured, seeing how much of my body could not be hidden by the shadow of the rock. I waited for death, or worse.

But it never came. Somehow, I had eluded them and was free! After a while, I poked my head out of the fissure to make sure nothing was about. It seemed safe, so I knelt to the ground, tears streaming from my eyes, and gave thanks that I had not been found. I could not help but think that perhaps my tending to the land, and the many ways in which I have tried to honor it, had come full circle, and it had gifted me in return with something far greater.

Still trembling with fear and wonder, I slowly made my way back to Thorenhad. As I walked toward Elladan and Elrohir, concern shone in their eyes. I am sure I must have been a ghastly sight! I reached into my pack and pulled out the black bridle I had recovered from the horse and handed it to them, explaining what had happened.

Elladan rushed over to me and helped me to sit before the fire. Elrohir said, "Kaleigh, you have performed a hero's feat that will be remembered by us and our kin for days unnumbered. We owe you the greatest of debts."

I could tell that they did not give such praise lightly, and to have earned such respect from them filled me with a pride I had never felt before. Sheer exhaustion set in, and I collapsed before the fire, crying until my last tear was spent. Sleep overtook me as I lay at their feet.

With Light,
Kaleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment