Thursday, May 14, 2009

The end of my holiday... almost (Part 3)

I reached the rangers' camp by nightfall and reported in for duty. Many of them had errands for me to run but wished me to first speak with someone named Ferrod. I found him by one of the many campfires and told him I was ready to help out in any way he wished.

He smiled and said, "Kaleigh, you have neglected our captain for far too long. He wishes to speak with you but is a long way off. You will have to make quite a journey to find him, and the way is hidden and rather difficult. Can you stand a little more time away from us before beginning your skulking anew?" Many of the rangers nearby had a good laugh at this. Apparently, someone has been telling stories about me!


He certainly did not need to ask twice! After he shared with me what secret roads to walk and of the way-signs to guide me, I was off on my long journey to Rivendell, a secret haven of the elves. It was a long road, but I finally came to the pass that led down into the gorgeous valley below. To see it bathed in starlight and the light of the moon was breathtaking. I vowed to start my journey back sometime in the early morning, so that I might also see it gleaming in the sun. I only hope to be invited to return again sometime, so that I might linger a bit longer in this enchanted place and take it all in.




I found the captain, Strider, who began to show me some of his battle plans for the months ahead. I tried to follow along, but I do not have the mind for things of such grand scale. Strider also sent me to speak with Master Elrond, whom I am sure I bothered to no end with my lack of manner and grace! I excused myself at the first opportunity, so that I might return to see a charming old hobbit whom I had chanced upon earlier. We played a game of riddles that was quite delightful!

My errands here were concluded all too soon, and I was off again on the long journey back to Evendim. I felt such a peace and saw such beauty just in the little time I was able to spend in Rivendell. May that feeling carry me long down the road with a skip in my step!

With Light,
Kaleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment