Thursday, April 30, 2009

Delusions of grandeur :P

Upon my return to Esteldin, I was asked by Arohir to search to the northeast, near the mountain passes, for an encampment of rogue hillmen who had sided with the dark forces. I made my way across the Downs as night approached and waited until no light, save that from the moon and stars, would shine upon me to begin my skulking.

They had made their encampment within the borders of an old ruin upon a large hill. Luckily, there were enough remnants of walls and ramparts scattered about that I was able to penetrate deep inside the enemy camp without being seen.

Eventually, I saw a large tent a little bit down the hill from the main force. It appeared to be quite lavish by the uncouth standards of these men and was heavily patrolled. No doubt their chieftain's tent, I surmised.

I realized that I could deal the tribe a heavy blow if I could somehow strike down their chieftain, but the risk would be very great. In fact, it would probably be the most perilous act I had yet taken in my small fight against the darkness. I thought of all those who had selflessly risked so much more, sacrificed so much more than I have, and decided now is the time to make my mark, albeit a very small one, in the war we fight against oppression. I just hoped that mark would not be a pool of blood! :P

Surprising even myself, I was able to skulk to the entrance of the tent without being seen. Peering around each corner, I saw that it was empty. The chieftain must be returning soon for his rest, I thought. Why not hide out and wait for him to return and go to sleep, then strike him down quick and easy?


I will tell you why not! Because I did not consider that he would return with three of his most trusted bodyguards! I ran harder and faster than I ever have in my life and somehow managed to lose them in a small wood nearby. That was a close one though, and I have learned my lesson. From now on, I will leave the heroics for the true heroes :)

With Light,
Kaleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment