Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A call to men...


I returned alone to Esteldin and reported our success in rallying the elves to the council. Halbarad then sent me to Trestlebridge to gather men to the council as well. He warned me that this ally may be the hardest to win, even though they had the most to gain from such an alliance.

Unfortunately, once I had arrived, I found that he was right. The mayor of Trestlebridge had recently been slain during an orc attack and his daughter, Nellie Boskins, had taken charge of the town. I explained to her what Halbarad had foreseen would take place in the North Downs and that all free peoples must rally together to save ourselves from a dark future.

Poor Nellie! I understood her argument. She had more immediate concerns with all the current attacks she faced and did not feel she could spare any aid for others what with all that she already had to deal with. No argument I made would persuade her, so I returned to Esteldin with ill tidings.

Halbarad met me as I entered the haven, saying he had just received word that a large orcish force marched toward Trestlebridge that very night! We scurried around the camp, quickly seeking those who would march with us to the village's defense!

We arrived just in time! Nellie thought it was just another trick until her own watchmen reported the mass of orcs that closed in upon the bridge. We held fast as wave after wave of orcs crashed upon us, nearly sweeping us away in a foul, black tide.



At long last, the remaining orcs fled, and we all cheered our victory! Nellie felt was so embarrassed at not having seen the grave threat that had nearly toppled her village, but Halbarad was most gracious about it. Nellie quickly agreed to take part in the council. I turned to give thanks to my allies who made our victory possible, but they had all disappeared without a word! I suppose there are so many ills that befall the free peoples that aid is always required of them :P

Nellie said I looked absolutely famished and demanded I celebrate our victory by breaking bread with her. She was so kind to offer, and I was rather hungry, so I readily agreed. She pulled out all the stops, and everything was wonderful. I did not lay down my fork until I was ready to burst! She graciously allowed me to take some rest in her house, and it was past midday before I finally bid her farewell and went out into the sun again!

As I stepped out into the light, I remembered seeing Aggy during the battle, valiantly fighting off orcs, but did not recall seeing her afterward. Quickly, I ran to the bridge to find her at her post. After just a little bit of respite from the battle of the night before, she was hard at work, keeping watch should any other orc skulkers try their luck against the village. I felt ashamed after my great feast and night of sleep to see her there. It looked as though exhaustion might claim her at any second.

I did not let her see me, but ran back into town and bought the finest breads, meats, cheeses and wine I could find and afford and brought it all to her. When she saw what I had brought her, she thanked me for all I had done for her and the village. We both started to cry, smudging dust and dirt all over our faces, as we wiped our tears away. I kept watch with her until nightfall, when I knew I had to depart. I embraced her with all of my might and thanked her for being a true friend and for giving me someone to look to when I needed hope and inspiration.

With Light,
Kaleigh




No comments:

Post a Comment