Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Oh! what a tangled web we weave

Upon returning to Thorenhad, I gave my report to the two brothers and requested aid for Calenthon. They promised to see about doing so and told me of another scout they wished for me to look in on. Wisely, they had been asking about camp for some time and had already gathered a group of brave adventurers willing to accompany me in my search for the scout, Thoroniel, who kept watch over the northern Trollshaws.

Upon reaching Thoroniel's camp, she told us of how she had been spying on a brood of foul spiders, one that was increasing in number with dizzying speed. She suspected the brood would soon spill out of their ruin and lay claim to much more of the land.


During our first foray into the ruins and surrounding paths, we discovered that there was not just one brood, but two! They seemed to be fighting for dominion over the area, a fact that Thoroniel wished to exploit with a very cunning scheme. After we had slain enough of the two different broods, she distilled the venom from the fangs we retrieved for her. With the aid of some herbs growing nearby, she confectioned it into separate mixtures and had us pour each one onto the opposite brood's egg sacs! This not only destroyed the eggs but also shifted the blame to the opposite brood, at least in the spiders' eyes! If only I were as clever as Thoroniel, life would be so much easier!


While poisoning the egg sacs, we spotted a ruin upon a large hill that overlooked the area where the spiders roamed. Creeping up to take a look, I caught a glimpse of the ugliest, hugest spider I had ever seen! When we reported back to Thoroniel, she figured it had to be the queen-mother of one of the broods.

Together, my allies and I decided to try to end her life and strike a huge blow to the threat the spiders posed. It was wonderful to work with such a brave and talented fellowship, for we cut through the spiders and dispatched the queen-mother with surprising ease!

We returned to Thoroniel's camp, where our fellowship disbanded all too quickly, each person hurrying off to their next mission, whatever that might be. Thoroniel graciously allowed me to make camp with her that night, and we talked for a long while. I have to say, the differences between her and the scout, Arrod, were quite striking. Thoroniel was direct, quick-witted, and held all her focus upon the task she was assigned to complete. She blushed and smiled when I complimented her on these things. It is a wonderful thing to see in someone the attributes you would most like to have for your own. It gives one something to strive for, you know?

The next morning, we embraced and wished each other well before I departed for Thorenhad. I hope that I will again have the pleasure of her company but, perhaps, in a more comfortable setting!

With Light,
Kaleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment