Monday, June 8, 2009

Height and stature are not one and the same

Oh, the dance was so special to me! It was a time of healing and of renewing the promises I had made long ago, when I first set off on this long journey. I wish you had been there with me, my friend. In a way, you were, you know? I carry you with me in thought and spirit always!

Afterward, Lord Elrohir asked me to venture into the southeastern Trollshaws to search for a giant he knew. "Some of them are not all bad," he told me. "Some only wish to live on their own and know peace." The one I was to seek was named Arifael. He had been exiled from his mountain home and was having a tough time with the other giants in the region. A few of us taking respite at Thorenhad formed a fellowship that was able to defend him from his would-be oppressors.

Lord Elladan had also asked us to look for one of the Onodrim, creatures of the ancient days, and seek its counsel. For many days, others had searched for the lost black rider, the one whom I went to search for signs of before. Elladan thought that knowledge of the dark rider might now have been carried far throughout the land by the whispering leaves of the trees and hoped that the Onodrim might know where he yet lurked.

Eventually, we came upon what we believed to be one of the ancient tree-shepherds, but the foul creature attacked us! Sadly, we found no peaceful creatures of the kind we sought and decided to return to Rivendell and gain the advice of others with the wisdom to aid us.

Lord Elrond thought we might ask Legolas, elf-prince of the woodland realm, about the creature we came upon in the valley. His countenance grew decidedly more grim as we told him our tale, and he deduced rather quickly that it was not one of the Onodrim at all but a wood troll!

The wise sat in counsel then and, afterward, bid us to return to the valley to drive away the trolls while trying to also find some sign of the lost rider. They determined that, having heard our report of how bold and numerous the trolls had become in the valley, it was likely the rider had lent them some of his power in order to shield his whereabouts. It fell to me to guide our fellowship to the place where the elf-prince thought it best to search.

I do try, dear friend, but I sometimes lose my way in the wilds, as you well know, and not all the time with that purpose in mind! Wandering about on my own is one thing, but to lead others in circles when our need was so great would not be abided. I felt as a small child just learning her steps as I listened to Legolas explain the way-signs to seek and how we might go about our task. In my frustration, I leapt onto the table that sat below the map we studied, as if closeness to it might lead to the same closeness with the land itself, a closeness that the elf-prince shared with it, but I did not.

Thankfully, Prince Legolas took pity on me and, understanding how important our task was, led us to the lair of the wood trolls, himself. By his skill and that of those with us, we were able to rout the trolls quite easily! Upon returning to Lord Elrond with the knowledge we had gleaned from the troll lair, he asked me to continue the search by heading north and east toward the Misty Mountains, fearing that the lost rider might have found a purpose there.





My guess is that the mountains so far north and high above the earth will still be held captive by Winter's chill even now. Therefore, before departing, I will take a few days' rest to spend in the sunshine of this beautiful haven. I cannot put into words the beauty and splendor that is all around us here! I can only hope to carry such warmth and light with me into the frigid cold of the mountains.

With Light,
Kaleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment